Thursday, May 9, 2019

Tudors to Windsors British Royal Portraits





I spent Thanksgiving with my friend Susan and her husband and their cats in Austin, Texas.  I had a lovely time seeing the sites in Austin.  The main reason for the trip was to see the Tudors to Windsors British Royal Portraits exhibit at the Museum of the Fine Arts in Houston.

Most of the portraits, paintings, photographs, and artwork are from Britain's National Portrait Gallery.

I have visited the NPG on numerous occasions and most of the portraits were familiar to me .. several modern ones were new to me, so it was a delight to see them.

A late addition to the exhibition was an ink-jet photograph of the newly married Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

The eponymous catalog was written by historian David Cannadine.  

It was a fabulous exhibit.  I am glad I got to see many of these portraits again as I know I won't have a chance when I am in London in June.  I will visit the NPG but the portraits won't be there as the exhibit is now in Australia at the Bendigo Art Gallery at Bendigo, Victoria.

The exhibit runs through July 14, 2019, after which everything is carefully packed up and returned to the National Portrait Gallery.

Not everyone gets to travel to London and see these portraits.  The catalog includes every portrait from the exhibit with historical commentary.  Full color. 240 pages.   This book should be kept on the cocktail table in the living room.  You never know when you want to peruse a portrait of Queen Anne.



No comments:

Post a Comment