Monday, July 18, 2011

Borders - RIP

I was delighted when my local Borders in Springfield, Virginia, survived the original cut when Border's went into bankruptcy earlier this year.  I get up at 8 a.m., on Saturday mornings, and head to my Zumba class.  After I get home, shower and change, I head to Border's.  Every Saturday, rain or shine, I drive the five minutes to the bookstore -- except for vacations and the rare blizzard -- to browse.  Check the new books.  Look at the magazines.  Border's is the last place in this area where I can get Bunte, but the store stopped stocking Point de Vue, Hola and Hello after the bankruptcy announcement. 

Every Saturday, a large vanilla latte, extra vanilla, skim milk.  Light ice in the summer.   I am a Border's Rewards Plus member, so I get extra bennies.  Last Saturday, I bought the new People magazine (Duchess of Cambridge on the cover) and Kate Morton's third book. 

I plan to be there every Saturday morning until the store closes in September.  I do not know what I will do after the store closes for good!  Where will I get my vanilla latte?  Where will I browse even a small section of foreign magazines?

This sucks ... big time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment